Candle Care

Here at the House we want you to enjoy your soy candle as long, and full fragranced as possible. Here are some tips to help that happen.:


Did you know soy candles have a memory? Soy candles, on their first burn create a memory for the wax and wick so it knows how hard it needs to work to give you the best experience. To achieve the best:

  • When lighting you HOD candle for the first time, allow the wax to melt and heat evenly all the way to the sides of the container. This gives you what is known as a ‘melt pool’.
  • A full melt pool is what gives you maximum fragrance and the most even burn.
  • The first burn of the candle should last as long as it takes to reach all the way to the edges of the container. Normally this would take at least an hour or two!
  • I know at the House we are super keen to burn our candles the second they are created, but not allowing a candle to create its memory on the first burn means your candle life will be shortened and will be prone to ‘tunnelling’ where it burns straight down like a cylinder tunnel down the middle and you lose all the wax on the sides.


The House uses soy wax as opposed to paraffin for personal environmental and sustainable reasons; paraffin can  contain nasty toxins, which contribute to black sooting. However, where there is a flame there is soot, soy wax has considerably less soot but will have some from time to time. To minimise this and other problems like quick burning candles:

  • If you do not trim the wick regularly, you may get a “mushroom” of carbon on the end of the wick. This may cause some soot to collect on the inside of the container.
  • Always trim your wick to about 6-8mm before you re-light your candle. This will ensure a long lasting candle, minimise soot and remove any mushrooming of the wick left from the previous burn.
  • If the candle is in a draft your wick may move causing an uneven burn, or worse cracking the glass. If this occurs make sure you extinguish the candle and move the wick back into the centre (for the love of god don’t use your fingers!)
  • Do not allow your wick trimmings to fall into your wax melt pool, if this occurs gently remove them after extinguishing (again no fingers!)
  • If a candle is left to burn too long (power burning) this could cause glass to overheat and crack, plus it will reduce your candle life as it hasn’t been able to use its melt pool memory. The House recommends burning for no more that 3-4 hours at a time.
  • Be sure not to over trim your wick as you may drown your wick in the next melt pool and not be able to re-light your candle.
  • If excess soot occurs its time to extinguish your candle, wait for it to cool, wipe off the carbon marks with a clean damp cloth Trim your wick and re-light.


Blowing out a candle causes more smoke and soot than the fire the Mr. of the House lights on a Saturday night!

  • Extinguish your candle by dipping the wick into the melted wax and straighten or use a candlesnuffer.
  • This will stop the wick smoking, prevent soot on the sides of the glass, stop moving your centred wick and will help with re-lighting the next time.


Please remember HOD candles are hand poured, not massed produced. Even though we use tried and thoroughly tested recipes to make our candles to ensure consistency, every candle will be unique.

  • When using completely natural hand poured soy wax, you will sometimes notice differences to the mass produced companies like:
  • Darker patches or wet spots on your glass. This is not a fault, simply a small blemish where the wax has not adhered to the glass 100%. This is more common in winter where the wax cools too fast.
  • Natural soy also contains frosting, a white-ish looking speckles on the top of the candle or on the sides of the glass. This is more noticeable in coloured candles; this is a natural property of soy and more common again in winter.
  • After each burn you may notice a ring on top or discolouring of the wax, this is due to the properties in the fragrance oil mixtures reacting with the natural soy.
  • Now we could use additives to our candles to reduce these characteristics, however, they do not effect the candle in any way. So we choose not to, this means you are getting the most natural candle possible.


I guess the best response to this is maybe! The House practices safety first and whilst there are so many lovely jars and containers on the market there is a good reason we don’t use a lot of them:

  • The heat test: we heat test all of our jars and if they aren’t designed to take the heat we don’t use them. This is why you’ll see more ‘stream-lined’ glassware used rather than vintage glassware and funky cheap shop glass. (we will however from time to time if they pass our heat test)
  • We first use boiling water to heat test, then literally bake the jars in the oven. We are happy to heat test your jars on the understanding that your jar may break or crack in this process.
  • Cheap shop glass – yup there are some pretty ones out there, yup it would make the candles cheaper to make but guess what… they more often than not crack.

So if you have a sentimental vintage cup of tea glass of Nana’s, or old glass or crystal bowl you just love but don’t use. I don’t recommend trying! Just think is a pretty glass worth ruining your furniture with hot wax or burning your house down? In saying that if you have candle glassware that you would like to re-use just ask and we can assess each piece’s suitability.



Our Wick Trimmers


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s